Saturday, September 6, 2008

This Summer


My experience volunteering on the Friends Good Will this summer was absolutely incredible. I learned so much about sailing, teamwork, and even learned about myself and what I’m capable of doing. I realized that when you are truly passionate about something, you can accomplish things that you would have found completely impossible before. I learned so much, and by the end I was incredibly proud of what I had accomplished.
The trip from Port Washington was an absolute blast. I loved always being with my crewmates, and having fun developing relationships with them. I loved the environment I was in, with so many people who have a passion for sailing in common. I loved the town; it was fun to explore somewhere new. I also enjoyed giving tours and talking with tourists. They all seemed incredibly interested in the ship, and it was good to be able to answer questions and know that my knowledge of the ship was strong. Seeing all other different kinds of tallships was absolutely grand. Ships as small as the Red Witch to ones as large as the Niagara, each was spectacular in it‘s own way. I loved sailing across the lake in such perfect weather. The feeling of being in the middle of the lake with no land in sight is indescribably amazing. The sailing was grand, and always is my favorite part of volunteering on the Friends Good Will.
I’ve met some of the most amazing people this summer. I had the pleasure of getting to know some incredibly wonderful souls. I’m lucky to have met and befriended these people and I hope our paths will cross again and again for they‘ve each captured a bit of my heart. I also loved hearing of others’ experiences on tallships all over the world, and it makes me curious as to where I’m headed.
Because of the experience I had this summer, and because of the people I‘ve met, and things I‘ve learned, I think this is something I’ll be doing for the rest of my life. This has been my best summer yet, and I do believe summers to come on this wonderful ship will just increase in excitement and adventure.

Sarah Kominek

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home